Gain experience, connect with newcomers and make a difference through the NEAT (Newcomers Explore and Appreciate Toronto) Mentorship Program.
NEAT (Newcomers Explore and Appreciate Toronto) is part of Health and Recreation mentorship. The purpose of the NEAT Mentorship is to provide newcomers with opportunity to improve their public speaking skills, general conversation, knowledge of Toronto and local cultures, history and free events of Toronto as well as help them learn to plan and implement guided tours and build/enhance skills in project management/event planning. It requires about 6 hours of commitment for 4 to 6 months and is quite flexible in terms of time and location.
Criteria, skills set and requirements:
- Must be at least 18 years or older
- Must be fluent in English and have life experience of more than 5 years in Canada
- Must attend mentors’ orientation and NEAT orientation session (additional training on meetup.com/NEATwalks)
- Must provide two professional references and police clearance letter
- Experience working with newcomers or diverse clients will be an asset
- Small group facilitation experience and ability to engage participants of varying skills and language levels will be an asset
- Capability to help newcomers practice English and learn new skills in project management/event planning
- Knowledge of Toronto’s local culture/neighbourhoods and free events and activities would be an asset
Have questions or need more information? contact Rubeen Chauhan, NEAT Program Worker at 416-588-6288 x 231. The 2017 NEAT teams will work during the fall and winter and may be asked to organize winter activities (weather permitting) such as skating, tobogganing, snow sculpturing, hiking, etc.
Like us on Facebook: CultureLink New Immigrants Connection