Role of the mentor:
Newcomers Speak Up for Success consists of ten biweekly sessions and runs
at least once a year, approx. from March/April to Jul/August on Tuesday
evenings from 6:00 to 8:30 pm.
Volunteer Mentors help newcomer participants practice Public Speaking and gain relevant skills in a friendly, semi-formal encouraging environment.
In addition to attending the sessions, volunteer mentors will be working together and sharing the responsibilities for each session, i.e. presenting tips and techniques, preparing speech topics, and/or other activities or tools that will engage the participants as well as help maintain the Facebook page, Newcomers-Speak-Up-for-Success.
The average group size is 10 to 15 participants plus 2-4 mentors. We welcome newcomer participants to come and try out their public speaking without the obligation of attending all ten sessions. However, all newcomer participants who will attend at least seven sessions will receive a certificate.
Mentors are matched with participants for extra support and guidance.
- Mentors must be fluent in English with knowledge and life experience in Canada of five years or more.
- Mentors must have experience in public speaking/ presentation/ coaching and group facilitation.
- They must have experience working with immigrants and refugees or participants of varying skill levels.
- They must have exceptional communication and people skills and ability to engage the participants.
- We welcome mentors with creative ideas that will support the learning of the newcomer participants.
- Mentors who are new to CultureLink are required to attend mandatory orientation session and
apply online at My Volunteer Page. We also require police clearance and reference check.
Mentors will receive certificate of appreciation at the end of the program.
Paper work for new and returning mentors – Sign off media release form and volunteer contract.
Contact Rubeen for any questions or further details at 416-588-6288 x 231 | email@example.com | firstname.lastname@example.org
Like us on Facebook: Newcomers-Speak-Up-for-Success